Abby’s Story

Her story began two years before she was born.

We decided we were ready to start a family. Two months later a positive pregnancy test and ridiculous amounts of morning sickness made us incredibly happy. The doctor had us come in at 8 weeks for the first checkup and sonogram. Everything looked great so they sent us to the sono tech.

I held my breath as the tech took a few pictures, and as I looked at the screen I just started to cry. It looked like a black hole.

The tech didn’t say anything, just sent us back to an exam room. By that point I was bawling and Matt didn’t understand why. I told him there was no baby… I was certain something was wrong. Our doctor came in and confirmed my worst fears.

She said I had a “blighted ovum”; essentially the sac attaches and grows but the baby never develops. It was decided I needed to have a D&C as there was no sign that my body would miscarry naturally. After all, I was over two months into the pregnancy and my levels were still going up. They said this was a good sign for the next pregnancy; I took it to mean that my body wanted a baby as much as my heart did.

So, we endured the heartbreak of a D&C. Then we decided that we would wait a year to try again so my body and our hearts could recover.

A year later we saw the beautiful + sign on a pregnancy test. We called our doctor and she had us come in at five weeks to make sure everything was okay. We went into the same sonogram room and we saw yet another empty black screen.

We were devastated.

Our doctor said that she would run the blood work. She also let us know that blighted ovum rarely occur twice in a row and there was a chance our DNA just didn’t match up, and we could pursue genetic testing after we made it through the current ordeal.

The plan was for her to call the next day and if my hormone levels were near 10,000 then they definitely should have seen the baby. There was hope though- if the levels were below 10,000 then we might have just had the dates wrong and it was simply too early to see anything on the sonogram.

Matt and I both went to work the next morning. Crazy, yes, but I couldn’t just sit at home and wait for the phone to ring.

The phone rang during my staff meeting the next morning. I knew by her “hello” that it wasn’t good news. Her words were heartbreaking.

She said, “I’m so sorry, but your levels are at 32,000. There’s no way we wouldn’t have seen a baby.” She told me that we could go ahead and schedule another D&C for the next day.

Then the most incredible thing happened. God happened. Without speaking first to Matt, without even knowing what I was saying, I asked, “I know our chances aren’t great with our history, but could I just wait two weeks and see what happens?”

She was fine with me waiting, she wanted me to feel comfortable, and hopefully I could miscarry naturally during that time.

I hung up the phone and my friends at work surrounded me. We had an impromptu prayer session in the middle of the hallway. There was prayer in school that day. Lots of it.

The next two weeks were terrible. I had horrible all-day morning sickness, to the point that they gave me a medication they give to chemo patients (I had the same experience the previous year so it wasn’t an encouraging sign) and I would go home every night and cry and ask Matt why I was going through this horror when we wouldn’t even have a baby at the end of it. Matt was so patient, so trusting, so faithful. He comforted me and then when the two weeks were almost up, he helped me call and schedule a D&C for a Friday morning.

Matt and I went back to the doctor on Thursday afternoon. We were the last people in the waiting room. We paid our copay for the hospital and the surgery. We were given pre-op instructions. We were scheduled for a D&C at 9 am the next morning.

The sono tech took us back so that they could make sure everything was in the same location and so that the doctor would know how to proceed with the surgery.

Same room. Same tech. Same screen that had been black twice before.

It was all too familiar and I refused to look at the monitor. I was so ready to be done with the whole thing. The tech put the goop on my stomach and started moving the wand around.

Then she said 4 words that changed our lives: “Have you been praying?”

My immediate response was, “Why?” while at the exact same moment Matt said “Yes.”

And she said, “Because there’s a baby! Look!”

I told her no. I refused. I wouldn’t look at that screen again.

She said, “Fine. Then listen.” And she turned a knob.

The sound of a tiny heartbeat filled the room.

Matt was crying. I was crying. The tech was crying. She left to get our doctor and when she came in the room, she too was crying.

I was so delirious that all I could say was, “But we have a 9:00 appointment at the hospital.” Our doctor took the pre-op papers from me, and said that we wouldn’t be going to the hospital the next day, we had about 7 more months.

They ran tests, and more tests, and more tests. The doctor had only seen this happen once before in her career.

The dates weren’t wrong. Abby was seven weeks when they found her that Thursday. She had been five weeks at the first sonogram appointment. Abby was perfect in size and there was nothing that could have been blocking her from view.

I truly believe that Abby is a miracle.

The doctors didn’t believe she existed. I didn’t believe she existed.

But God knew.

And thankfully, He gave us the wisdom to wait on Him and the patience to wait for her.


11 Comments to “Abby’s Story”


  2. Wow! I did not know this story, what a great story it is. WOW! I am so blessed to read this and hear how God placed such a miracle in your life…what a great God we have. What a precious Abby you have, praise the Lord!
    “Oh taste and see that the LORD is Good!”

  3. I don’t know how but I just had the delight of running across your blog for the very first time. I don’t know how to describe my visit here except that it has been ” love at first sight ” partly because you write so beautifully and partly because the content + pictures are just super sweet and partly because I have a little girl of my own who just turned four. Reading your Abby’s story sent chills down my spine and praises up to our Lord, who is good. Always. Don’t you love how He specializes in things that should be too good to be true?

    So glad to have found you here. And, happy Mother’s Day + God’s deepest blessing on you and yours.

    • Chelle- thank you so much for visiting and for your sweet, sweet comment. God is undeniably good… good beyond our wildest hopes and dreams. Hope you have a wonderful Mother’s Day with your own little blessings!

  4. Wow, this is truly an amazing story and what a wonderful encouragement to us today. Really I had tears in my eyes as I read this. AMAZING, thanks for sharing!

  5. Jeannie,
    I never knew this story. What an amazing child Abby is, and even more so now that I know the miracle that was her beginning. Praise the Lord, He is in charge of everything!

  6. This is such a beautiful story!

  7. Oh my goodness. I just happen to run into your blog and I love love love your story. God bless you and your family and Abby! What a miracle that was! I really enjoyed the way you wrote your beautiful journey. Thank you for sharing.

  8. Wow. I had no idea

  9. Oh my goodness. This is such an incredible miracle story! Gah, I’m crying at work. (Can I hug you at IF:Austin?) 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: